HistoryCampbell House is the oldest remaining house from the original site of the Town of York. Built in 1822 by Judge William Campbell and his wife Hannah, the home was designed for entertaining and comfort, and constructed at a time when the Campbells were socially and economically established and their children had grown to adulthood.
The house is one of the few surviving examples of Georgian architecture left in Toronto. The Grange is another excellent example, although it is slightly older than Campbell House. Campbell House is constructed in a style in vogue during the late Georgian era known as Palladian architecture. This style was Italian in origin, and based upon elements of classical Greek and Roman architecture, which emphasized symmetry of features (windows, fireplaces, doors etc.) and grandiose proportions to exhibit wealth.
Location & Directions
Campbell HouseCampbell House is on the northwest corner of Queen Street West and University Avenue, an easy walk from the city centre and just steps away from Osgoode Subway Station and the 501 and 502 street car route.
160 Queen Street West Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ParkingAn underground municipal Green P parking lot is located one block east Of Campbell House, at City Hall (110 Queen Street West), below Nathan Phillips Square; parking lot entrances are off Bay Street and off Queen Street West: Downtown Parking Locator
An underground parking lot is below the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, kitty corner from Campbell House; the parking lot entrance is off York Street.
A lot operated by Carpark Management Services Ltd is located on the south side of Queen Street West, west of Simcoe Street.
There may be street parking on the west side of University Avenue and on St Patrick Street, depending on the day and time.